We can all agree that summer in North Texas is brutal, and this year’s summer was especially so. But with the start of a new school year just around the corner, there is hope! Hope that someday soon(ish), we may feel a cool breeze again in North Texas.
August is National Eye Exam Month and it is also Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month. As the summer comes to an end, it is important to start thinking about scheduling a comprehensive eye exam, especially for those who are heading back to school. Cargo Eye Care offers eye exams for the whole family.
Be Ready to Learn with Sharp Vision
If your student has not had an eye exam this year, we recommend scheduling one to ensure they enter the school year with healthy vision. It will give them the best chance of having a successful school year. Since most of the instruction that takes place in a classroom is visual in nature, this is more important than ever before.
The technology our team uses to perform comprehensive eye exams can detect conditions like myopia (nearsightedness) in its early stages.
Myopia in Children is on the Rise
Myopia in young people is becoming more and more common. Why? Most experts agree. Increased screen time and technology such as iPads, TVs and video games plays a big part in the rise. Myopia can affect your child’s ability to see well enough to do school work. At Cargo Eye Care, we are proud to offer treatment options as part of our pediatric myopia management program.
Adults Need Routine Eye Exams, Too
For adults, the American Optometric Association (AOA) recommends having a comprehensive eye exam every two years for adults ages 18 to 60 and annual exams for adults aged 61 and older. Adults with risk factors for certain eye conditions like glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration should have eye exams more frequently. Also, those with high blood pressure, previous eye injuries or a visually demanding occupation should have eye exams more frequently.
Remember, an eye exam is more than a vision check. It will also check the health of your eyes in relation to your overall health, among other things. At our office, dilation of your pupils is recommended for a comprehensive eye exam. It may be necessary for you to have someone with you to drive you home if your eyes are going to be dilated.
Eyewear Choices Abound for Every Age and Style
Cargo Eye Care has an impressive selection of lenses and frames for glasses and sunglasses. We offer lenses for every age and every lifestyle, including:
- Bifocal Lenses – Bifocals are lenses with two distinct viewing areas to help correct vision at two distances. In the same way, trifocal lenses correct vision at three distances.
- Progressive Lenses – Progressive lenses allow multiple vision fields to be incorporated into a single lens without any abrupt distinction between the fields themselves. This is why progressive lenses are often referred to as “no-line” bifocals or trifocals.
- High Index and Aspheric Lenses – This type of lens is manufactured to be thinner at the edges of the lens and lighter in weight overall. It is a good choice for people with stronger prescriptions.
- Photochromic Lenses – Photochromic lenses change from clear to dark based on the intensity of UV radiation.
- Polycarbonate Lenses – Extremely durable, polycarbonate lenses are up to 10 times more impact resistant than regular plastic lenses. If you are hard on your glasses, these might be for you!
- Computer Lenses – If you spend hours a day in front of a computer screen, you may want to consider a pair of lenses specific for screens that help reduce the glare and increase the screen’s contrast so it’s not too harsh on your eyes.
Once you’ve decided on which lens is right for you, it’s time to select a frame. We offer one of the largest selections of designer children’s frames in the area, as well as protective sports eyewear for kids involved in athletics. We also carry an array of exclusive designers and frames of regular and sunglasses. Some of our designer brands include Tom Ford®, Chloe®, St. Laurent®, Gucci®, Ray-Ban® and Oakley®. You can check out our inventory of frames and even try them on virtually!
Contact Lenses Are More Popular Than Ever Before
If you’re someone who doesn’t want to wear glasses, no worries. We have a variety of contact lenses to choose from, too. Our selection includes:
- Gas-Permeable (GP)
- Silicone Hydrogels
- Daily Disposable
Cargo Eye Care is one of the first optometry practices in North Texas to offer the new Bausch + Lomb INFUSE multifocal contact lenses. These state-of-the-art lenses offer all-day comfort and feature a three-zone progressive design for clear vision at near, mid and far distances.
Your Vision Is Our Passion
Make scheduling an eye exam for you and your student(s) a priority this August. We have set aside appointment times just for you! Escape the heat and schedule an appointment today with our vision experts.